I got this recipe from my friend Barb’s blog, Mom Off Track, and I have to give her and Sarah all the credit. Sarah blogs at Moose and Tater and has some amazing posts and recipes for essentials too. I got the idea and recipe from them and I use these stones for so many things. Now that I use essential oils, I find them invaluable to have in the house and on all the trips I go on, so wanted to share here.
Fragrance Stones are a must to have around any home along with essential oils, of course! I use my stones in the garbage can, the washer, the garbage disposal, and for a bath when you are on the road and don’t have bath salts. I love my fragrance stone when showering too — so great when you are feeling under the weather to put a drop of Eucalyptus and a drop of Peppermint and just breathe it all in! I do this for the kids too when they are sniffling. It works, and it’s so simple to make fragrance stones. You can do this! I promise.
- Buy or get a silicone mold – it will not work with metal ones. I got mine on amazon, but others have reported getting them at Michael’s or other craft stores.
- Here is the recipe (makes about 25-30 small stones as seen in my picture) – double or triple it if you want more: 1/4 cup water to 1 cup of baking soda. Mix it together by hand and make sure it is NOT runny or watery or they will break apart and crumble. You can even add water as you go so you do not add in too much. The drier the better.3. Place molds in a preheated oven (400 degrees) for about 25 minutes, and pull them out of the molds after cooled. These make great gifts too with a bottle of essential oil. I love, love my fragrance stones and give them out to my friends too!
Uses for Fragrance Stones: Put your favorite oils on these stones and use as you wish. Here are some suggestions:
- Place one in your garbage can with purification essential oil and lemon (one drop each).
- Place one in your washer machine when it stinks to clean it- place 2 drops of purification on the stone,
- When I had a particularly difficult garbage disposal smell, I put lemon, peppermint and purification (1 drop each) and let it dissolve in there with hot water.
- You can put one stone in your car to get rid of a hard to find or get rid of an odor– use lavender and purification.
- You can put in stinky shoes and remove before wear, but my favorite uses are to bathe with them to get a good smell in the morning, or just wake up. I used it in the kids’ steam shower when they were sniffling. The best oils for colds are Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Wintergreen, and Lemon combo, but I think Eucalyptus can do the great job alone too.
- I like to take these on travel with me and put them in baths to relax or unwind. One drop of Lavender, and one of stress away and you are guaranteed a good night’s sleep in a loud hotel room.*
I am so glad Barb and Sarah introduced me to fragrance stones because they are wonderful and I love to have them on hand always. I also give them away at craft events. I hope you will find them useful too!
*Disclaimer: These statements are not FDA approved. The statements made here are my own and not attributed to young living. The experiences are real, and my own. I received no compensation for this or other posts on essential oils. I am a distributor of these products because I believe in them.